Detroit Diesel began life in 1938 when General Motors formed the GM Diesel Division. Later, on 1 January 1988, it became a joint venture of General Motors and Penske Corporation. The arrival of Penske, then owning 60 per cent, introduced a new and more dynamic form of management. However, in 2000, DaimlerChrysler, as it was then, acquired the business, including the 48.6 per cent owned by Penske Corporation.
Electonic unit injectors
Diesel Technology Corporartion, a division of Detroit Diesel specialising in the design and manufacture of electronic unit injectors (EUIs), was reformed in 1997 as Detroit Diesel Remanufacturing North in Kentwood, Michigan, primarily to focus on the remanufacture of EUIs. In 2008, the business became North America Fuel Systems Remanufacturing. It is a 50/50 joint venture with Bosch LLC and remanufactures unit pumps, common rail systems, high pressure injector pumps as well as EUIs.
Other divisions of Detroit Reman include Detroit Reman East in Byesville, Ohio, for two-stroke engine long blocks and Series 60/50 engines; Detroit Reman Central in Emporia, Kansas for two-stroke new engines and Sprinte 612 and 647 engines; Detroit Reman West in Toole, Utah for miscellaneous products including turbochargers and connecting rods; and DMR Electronics in Hibbing, Minnesota for industrial electronic products, including Allison components.
In 2005 the company opened Detroit Reman Mexicana in Toluca, Mexico in "response to growing market demand for remanufactured products". This unit handles Mercedes-Benz water pumps, cyclinder heads, manual transmissions and MBE 900 engines.