Friday 27 May 2016

Former JLR manger jailed for ''road-rage' driving

Andrew Nay, former venue manager at JguarLandRover (JLR) who left two young sisters paralysed after a "road rage" crash in Northamptonshire, UK, has been jailed this afternoon for four-and-a-half years.

Nay, 39, crashed his 2.6-tonne 4x4 Land Rover vehicle into the girls' family car as he made a right turn across oncoming traffic on the A509 near Wellingborough, near Northampton, UK.
During a three-day hearing, Northampton Crown Court was told Nay, a Jaguar Land Rover manager and off-road driving instructor, was tailgating and "bullying" a woman who had been driving a Mazda.
To escape him during his pursuit in October last year, she safely turned right onto the B547 towards Little Harrowden.
Nay, who was seen laughing with his male passenger, undertook a Mercedes-Benz vehicle and then, in an attempt to follow the Mazda, made an "absolutely ridiculous" turn, the court was told.
He hit the family's Vauxhall Signum that was travelling along the A509 in the opposite direction.
The girls' parents, Roberts Raibais and Renate Raiba, released a statement saying: "Andrew Nay's reckless actions had devastating consequences for our two beautiful daughters.......Every day they ask 'when will we start feeling our legs again?' They think it's going to get better and it's too hard to tell them.
Nay, from Weldon, Corby, admitted four counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, but denied he had been chasing the Mazda prior to the crash.
Judge Adrienne Lucking QC said: "This was a prolonged, persistent and deliberate course of very bad driving.
"No sentence I can pass will ever feel like enough for this family."
The judge told Nay his account of events had been "incredible and inconsistent".
Sergeant Tony Hopkins, of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit in Northamptonshire, said: "This is probably one of the most tragic cases that I think I've had to deal with in my career to date.
"There is no end for the family, this will go on for years and this will affect them for years,” he added: "I'm pleased to see that the judge has been able to see through Mr. Nay's story, and has been able to see what the witnesses have evidenced to us over the few months, to highlight how long this incident actually went on for."
Sergeant Hopkins also said: "We have done what we can to get this man off the roads."

JaguarLandRover' declared in a statement: "We are deeply saddened by this terrible incident and our thoughts are with the Raiba family. We can confirm that Andrew Nay is no longer an employee of Jaguar Land Rover."

No comments: